---
node: spot_florence_galleria_dell_accademia
type: spot
slug: galleria_dell_accademia
destination: dest_florence
title: "Galleria dell'Accademia"
lead: "The Accademia exists around one object: Michelangelo's David, moved here in 1873 from Piazza della Signoria to get it out of the weather. The hall was built for it, with a skylight directly above."
published: 2026-08-12
updated: 2026-08-12
image_file: spot_florence_galleria_dell_accademia.jpg
image_source: "https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Busts_displayed_at_Galleria_dell%E2%80%99Accademia_di_Firenze.jpg"
image_author: "S.e.witcher"
image_license: "CC0"
---

## Overview

Four of Michelangelo's unfinished Prisoners line the approach, figures half released from their blocks, and they explain the David better than any label — you can see the method he used to arrive at it. Beyond the sculpture the gallery holds Florentine painting on gold ground and a museum of historical musical instruments from the Medici collection, including a Stradivari. The building was the city's fine arts academy from 1784, which is where the collection came from.

## Highlights

Book ahead; without a ticket the queue outside is an hour or more and the gallery is small. Walk up the Prisoners slowly before turning to the David — the order is the point of the room. Half an hour after opening or the last hour before closing are the only quiet times.
